Keep in mind you are always responsible for your own health. However, you can make better decisions if well-informed.
The Dutch health organisations specialized in tropical diseases, vaccinates and travel advises (LCR and Amsterdam health GGD) give the following advises:
- South Nicaragua (including Granada): no special preparation or precaution.
- North (of Managua) and North East: Prophylaxes (medicine against malaria) is recommended.
For those that prefer Dutch soccer to Dutch Languages,below the interpretation of the map legend:
- light blue areas: advise prophylaxes
- yellow areas : no prophylaxes is recommended but anti mosquitoes stuff such as DEET is advisable.
- red areas: (not in central america, but south of it): malaria does have a form of resistant (immunity) against prophylaxes.
- No color areas: no prophylaxes are recommended.
So, head south to Granada!!